Here is Debbie's Party Proposal in her own words:
The wonderful Pam at Party Starters threw down the gauntlet a few days ago on her blog with her open invitation to “Create Her Party!.” Pam has always been a great cheer leader and has been a great blogger friend, so I thought the least I could do was pay her a bit of a tribute with my own attempt at planning a special party for her upcoming 38th birthday! Her challenge included the recommendations to include the following…
- A do it yourself cupcake decorating buffet with different flavors of cupcakes, frostings & toppings
- A fun little bar with a few swanky cocktails
- The color scheme will be Gray, Cream and Leafy Green (incorporate damask)
But you have to understand that I have all of this pent up creativity that simply cannot be satiated by only delivering tables and chairs throughout the year. I really do live for this kind of stuff… I just don’t always have the opportunity! So in this instance, pardon my over-exuberance… but this really was a lot of fun! I hope you like my presentation for your upcoming 38th!!
Image and apple green damask wall canvas treatments courtesy of — and featured at – http://www.francesrose.com
1. Their product images inspired me, so whether you use these beautiful gems of blown glass as glass “cups,” candleholders or vases, the universal word used to describe them is gorgeous! These gems called, glassybaby’s, can be found at and can be found at http://www.glassybaby.com
2. Image courtesy of, and featured on http://www.glassybaby.com
3. Martini-inspired cupcake (as featured on CupcakesTakeTheCake.blogspot.com ) by Cupcake Surfer (a.k.a. Tammy Holmgren) on Flickr (Loved this image, but for Pam’s party… swap out the red polka dot for a green damask pattern… sweet!)
4. One of the most famous former speakeasies, the 21 Club, at 21 West 52nd Street. Believe it or not, Pam, this block in NYC once held 38 separate speakeasies. (A coincidence… I think not!!) Image and info courtesy of NewYorkology – http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/2008/12/the_city_on_a_s.php
5. Image courtesy of — and featured on – http://www.glassybaby.com
6. Tabletop lantern image courtesy of, and available at http://www.shadesoflight.com – (Inspired by the image referred to in #4, I thought replacing the “21″ with a “38″ on a few tabletop lanterns would be a nice touch.)
7. Although it refers to the 40’s/50’s vs. the “speakeasy” time period of the 1930’s, I really liked the look and typography used in this flyer… not sure the source … but it was an event tied to a fundraiser for Afghan Heroes and St. Catherine’s Hospice in the U.K.
8. Image courtesy of, and featured on http://www.glassybaby.com
9. Bloody Mary image courtesy of http://www.developmentinmotion.com.au
10. Source ? (Not sure… I’ll get back to you!)
11. Image of this (and many other incredibly retro-inspired clothes!) courtesy of http://www.heydayonline.co.uk
12. Actress, Rachel Weisz wears a green silk lace dress from Dior with a pair of Louboutins at Cannes. Image courtesy of http://thelookbook.onsugar.com/tag/Rachel+Weisz
13. Image courtesy of http://lemaniaindigo.blogspot.com
14. Source (Not sure… I’ll get back to you!)
15. Image of this (and many other cool dresses!) courtesy of http://www.trashydiva.com
16. Image courtesy of http://lemaniaindigo.blogspot.com
17. Lantern images courtesy of, and available at http://www.RestorationHardware.com
18. Image courtesy of Ah-Tissue’s Facebook photo album “Photo’s from Customers and Features of My Pom Poms!!”
19. Image courtesy of Ah-Tissue’s Facebook photo album “Photo’s from Customers and Features of My Pom Poms!!”
20. Don’t ask me why… but I saw these and since you’ll have a “make your own cupcake” bar, I thought if you needed to have hand sanitizer, these looked cute… (gee, can you tell I’m used to hosting kids parties!… always thinking about the germs! http://www.myweddingfavors.com/damask-hand-sanitizer.html
21. Cupcake pedestal image courtesy of Pedestals — a wonderful Etsy source! http://www.etsy.com/shop/Pedestals?ref=pr_profile
22. Image courtesy of http://www.Ah-Tissue.com.au as featured on
23. Image courtesy of B.A.S.H.FUL Events’ “1920’s Speakeasy b.a.s.h” as featured at http://bashfulevents.blogspot.com/2009/10/1920s-and-speakeasy-joint.html
24. Image courtesy of the super-fun foodie nostalgia blog, Kitchen Retro
25. I found this yummy image and its corresponding recipe for Hpnotiq Cocktail Cupcakes with Toasted Coconut Buttercream and Pineapple Gelée at http://omgkate.blogspot.com Kate raved about these cupcakes and shared full recipe information on her blog post here
26. Martini-themed cupcakes (as featured on CupcakesTakeTheCake.blogspot.com) http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2010/01/5-martini-cupcakes-to-usher-out-weekend.html
by Roxie’s Cupcakes in Virginia Beach, Virginia (via Flickr)
27. Image courtesy of http://www.MarthaStewart.com
28. Image courtesy of ehow.com – featured in “Food Booth Fundraising Ideas,” by Maria Dockett, ehow Contributor
29. Image courtesy of awesome feature “‘You Do it’ Cupcake Bar” from the fabu blog, “The Party Girls of Marcia Selden” http://marciaselden.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/you-do-it-cupcake-bar/
30. Image courtesy of awesome feature “‘You Do it’ Cupcake Bar” from the fabu blog, “The Party Girls of Marcia Selden” http://marciaselden.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/you-do-it-cupcake-bar/
31. This casual yet classy table setting image courtesy of http://blog.shopbop.com – (Look really carefully and you’ll notice the cupcakes in the martini glasses!) http://blog.shopbop.com/2009/04/a-1920s-redux-big-kids-sleepover-hamptons-road-tripall-in-24-hours.html
32. Music note napkin ring image courtesy of http://store.drumbum.com
33. This spectacular Cosmopolitan & Martini Cupcake Tower was created by Denville, New Jersey’s PinkCakeBox and is featured on their website, http://www.pinkcakebox.com.
34. This stunning image is by Laurel McConnell Photography as featured on their blog site http://www.mcconnellphoto.com
35. Apple martini image courtesy of http://wiseoysters.blogspot.com/2008/12/martini-monday_29.html
36. Image as featured on Celebrations.com with feature, Birthday Girl Martini Glass Cupcakes by Jeanne Benedict at http://www.celebrations.com/content/birthday-girl-martini-glass-cupcakes
Some more sources for great event styling, shopping and inspiration!!!!
Amy Nelson Hannon’s wonderful blog Sincerely Yours Paper Blog http://sincerelyyoursonline.blogspot.com/ led me to a one-stop source for Pam’s main “party activity” — Elinor Klivan’s cupcake (decorating) kit — plus some absolutely fantastic inspiration for Pam’s party playlist is streaming right on her blog … and website… take a listen to Amy’s “Happy Listenin’ Music” and you’ll be tapping your toes and in the mood for cocktails!!!
Last but not least, every kind of drink recipe (including the chocolate kiss martini shown below!!) can most likely be found on on the blog http://intoxicologist.wordpress.com/?s=chocolate+martini
Can you say holy moly check out all of that inspiration with links included!! That must have taken you forever Debbie, THANK YOU!!
I am seriously humbled by all of these entries...I can't tell you how impressive and inspiring they have all been! It has been SO hard to just pick one person, because everyone has done such an amazing job! I hope you have all had as much fun looking at these party proposals as I have. What a WONDERFUL birthday gift you have all given me!! Speaking of birthdays, yes TODAY is my 38th birthday and as promised I will be announcing the winner!! Check back tonight at 9PM MST to see who that lucky person is.....yes...I am a tease!